Summer Salt Spring Kitchen Recipes – Apricot Pavlovas, Burger Sauce and Jalapeño Cheddar Burgers
Saltspring Kitchen Recipes
We continue to be impressed with Saltspring Kitchen’s superior products the more we continue to experiment with them. Below are three amazing recipes from Saltspring Kitchen Co. that we are really excited to share with you.
Mini Apricot Pavlovas with Coconut Whip
A simple, elegant summer dessert, these mini pavlovas are always a crowd pleaser. The meringue keeps very well in the freezer, to pull out when needed if company arrives. Top with cream and fresh berries. The sparkling apricot pink peppercorn spread sweetens the coconut whip, so no sugar is added, the spread ties the flavours together perfectly.
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup Sparkling Apricot Pink Peppercorn Spread, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups fresh berries and stone fruit
- Place the can of coconut cream in the fridge along with a mixing bowl and whisk.
- In a small bowl whisk together sugar, cornstarch and cream of tartar until fully combined.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or large mixing bowl, using hand-held beaters, beat the egg whites, starting on low speed and slowly increasing to medium-high. When peaks start to form, slowly pour in the sugar and cornstarch mixture as you continue to beat. After all the sugar mixture is added, increase the speed to high and whip for 2–3 minutes. Squish some meringue between your fingers. If it feels grainy, it’s not quite ready. Beat for 1 minute more at a time, checking after each minute. When the sugar has dissolved, the mixture will feel smooth and have stiff glossy peaks.
- Preheat the oven to 300°f (275°f in a hot dry climate or summer). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spoon tennis ball–sized dollops of meringue onto the parchment, 1 to 2 inches apart. Using a spoon make a small indent in the centre, building up the sides of the meringue.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 250°f without opening the door. Bake an additional 15 to 20 minutes until puffed, just golden on top, and slightly cracked. Turn the oven off and leave the meringues there for 15 minutes. Crack the door open 2–3 inches and let sit for 25 minutes. Gently transfer to a wire rack and let cool to room temperature. At this point the meringues can be frozen in an airtight container, if desired.
- Remove the coconut cream from the fridge and using the cold whisk, whisk until fluffy and doubled in size. Add in the jam and sea salt and using a spatula mix together. Dollop coconut cream into the centre of the mini pavlovas and top with berries and stone fruit. Garnish with an extra dollop of Sparkling Apricot & Pink Peppercorn Spread.
Salt Spring Kitchen Special Burger Sauce
This better than Triple O Burger Sauce is spicy, cream, and all things delicious. Keep a jar in the fridge all summer and use always.
- 1/2 cup Greek style yogurt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Spicy Tomato Savoury Spread
- 2 Tbsp Candied Jalapeño Relish
- Whisk together the yogurt and mayonnaise to fully combine. Mix in the Spicy Tomato Savoury Spread and Candied Jalapeño Relish.
- Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week. Use generously on burgers, sandwiches or as a fry dip.
Jalapeño & Cheddar Stuffed Beef Burgers
This is an epic burger, sometimes coined a commitment burger because it is so juicy and delicious that you can’t put it down. Once you dive in, you’re committed ’till the end! Stuffed with spicy jalapeño relish and gooey cheese, it is sure to please.
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/4 cup cream cheese
2 tbsp Candied Jalapeño Relish
1 lb ground beef
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
2 tbsp Spicy Tomato Relish
- 1 egg
- 4 burger buns
- 1 small white onion
- 1 tomato
- 1/4 cup Candied Jalapeno Relish
- 2 tbsp Charcuterie Mustard
- 4 cheese slices
- 4 lettuce leaves
- In a small mixing bowl mix together cheddar, cream cheese and relish. Mix with a fork to fully combine. Cover and place in the fridge while you prepare the burgers.
- In a mixing bowl combine beef, panko, spicy tomato relish and the egg. Mix together to form a smooth consistent mixture. Divide the ground beef into 8 equal parts and pat each into a very thin 3 inch disc, making 8 patties. Remove the cheese mixture from the fridge and place 2 tablespoons of the cheese mixture in the centre of one of the patties. Top with another small patty and pinch the edges together, enclosing the cheese mixture in meat. Smooth the edges so that the seams disappear, and the patty is uniformly flat, making a final patty about 1/2 inch thick and 3 inches in diameter. Repeat with the other patties to make a total of 4 burgers. Place burgers on a parchment paper covered baking sheet and place in the fridge while you prepare the remaining fixings.
- Slice the burger buns. Thinly slice the onion and tomato.
- Preheat a grill to high, at least 400°f. Place the patties on the front grill and turn the heat to medium low. Let the burgers cook undisturbed for 6 minutes. Flip the burgers and cook an additional 4 minutes, then flip again. Top with cheese slices and cook for 2 minutes more. If desired toast the buns for the remaining 2 minutes of cooking time.
- Remove burgers from the barbecue and let sit 5 minutes before serving while you assemble the burgers. The cheesy centre is extremely hot. Assemble burgers by spreading Charcuterie Mustard and Candied Jalapeño Relish on the bottom bun, then top with a lettuce leaf. Place burger on the lettuce, then top with tomato and onion. Spread top bun with Spicy Tomato Savoury Spread then place on the burger.
- Once assembled, serve immediately.
- Patties can be frozen before cooking in an airtight container for up to 3 months. When cooking from frozen add an additional 3-4 minutes to the grilling time.