Herma’s News – Treasure Trove of Gourmet Foods at Herma’s
Sometimes we should express our gratitude for the small and simple things like the scent of the rain, the taste of your favorite food, or the sound of a loved one’s voice. – Joseph B. Wirthlin
We sometimes get so excited about everything that is so visually pleasing in our store that we forget to draw attention to the fact that Herma’s is a treasure trove of all kinds of scrumptious gourmet foods and condiments.
It is also that time of year when light and refreshing salads and appetizers are so fun to create, serve and enjoy.
Below are two recipes we believe are perfect for spring. Bon Appetit!
Smoked Salmon Lemon Zest Appetizer
Recipe inspired by the Garlic Box
- Herma’s Signature Lemo-Licious Cheese*
- The Garlic Box Pickled Diced Scapes – 2 oz roughly chopped*
- The Garlic Box Horseradish Garlic Condiment – 1 tbs*
- Grizzly’s Smoked Sliced Sockeye Salmon – 6 oz*
- Red Onion – 1/4 Cup Finely Chopped
- Crostini (Sabine’s Baguette Crisps or make own with Manoucher’s Baguette Bread from our freezer section)*
Combine Lemo-Licious Cheese, diced Garlic Scapes, Red Onion, Horseradish Garlic Condiment and spread on crostini. Top with Smoked Salmon and garnish with thinly sliced red onion, diced garlic scapes and optional fresh dill.
Pear Pomegranate and Blue Cheese Salad
Recipe by Rootham’s
- 2 Pears, unripened, cored & sliced into thin strips
- 1 Pomagranate , seeded
- 2 oz St. Agur Blue Cheese*
- 1 head of Romaine
- 1/2 cup Rootham’s Peach Poppyseed Salad Dressing*
1. Marinate pear slices in Rootham Peach Poppyseed Salad Dressing for one hour.
2. Cut pomegranate into quarters & place in bowl of cold water. Gently pull away flesh, exposing seeds. Loosen seeds underwater. Seeds will drop to bottom of bowl, while bits of flesh will float. Remove flesh, drain & rinse pomegranate.
3. Wash & cut romaine into bite size pieces. Drain pears. Reserve dressing to pour over romaine. Toss, adding more Rootham Peach Poppyseed Salad Dressing, to taste.
4. Lay pear slices on top of romaine, cover with crumbled blue cheese & garnish with pomegranate.
All foods marked with * may be found at Herma’s!
In the Cheese Shop
Come and purchase a yummy cheese for a light snack between meals or delight in the selection of Brie for something more decadent. Our fresh Italian Parmesan, grated over your favorite Italian meal, is also the perfect cheese to always keep on hand in the kitchen.
At Herma’s it gives us great pleasure to supply you with the perfect cheese for every occasion.
We are delighted to offer this aged cheese created using fresh goat’s milk collected from farms in Prince Edward County. The expert cheesemakers of Fifth Town Cheese are passionate about producing the very best. A real treat!
This mild, buttery, cow’s milk cheese from the award-winning, family-run Gunn’s Hill Artisan Cheese Company is brilliant on its own or melted in a grilled cheese sandwich. Try it with Stonewall Kitchen’s Maple Bacon Onion Spread. Pairs well with lighter white wines like Riesling and also Lager beers.
Prosciutto (Tuscan Parma) – Speck – Chorizo – Soppressata – Fennel Salami
We are proud that many of our meats are from Italy with that country’s high standards of production. Unlike meats bought elsewhere, these meats are not processed and contain no nitrates allowing for the healthy enjoyment of fine meats.
Don’t hesitate to have someone from our cheese shop cut meat to your liking.
Have a lovely day. We look forward to seeing you soon.
Herma’s Fine Foods & Gifts