Herma’s News – The Garlic Box Issue with Recipe and News from the Cheese Shop
If the sight of the blue skies fills you with joy, if a blade of grass springing up in the fields has power to move you, if the simple things of nature have a message that you understand, rejoice, for your soul is alive. – Eleonora Duse
With hot summer sun and leisurely afternoons outdoors, you may find yourself and others looking for unique pairings of fruits and spices that one would not consider at any other time of year except summer. Find a recipe below that does just that as it fulfills our need for something healthy, refreshing yet filling.
The Garlic Box brings healthy, fresh flavor to your recipes. Find their Ontario-made preserves, rubs, spices, mixes and dressings at Herma’s!
Steak Salad with Garlic Mango Dressing
Recipe courtesy of the Garlic Box
Make this crisp salad into a hearty next-day lunch – The Garlic Box
- The Village Grocer’s Flank Steak 3/4 lb*
- Kosher Salt and Black Pepper – to taste*
- Fresh Lime Zest 1 tspFresh Lime Juice 3 tbsp
- Sparrow Lake Honey 1 tbsp*
- Chopped Pickled Ginger 1 tbsp
- Low Sodium Soy Sauce 1 tsp*
- Olive Oil 1 tbs*
- Garlic Box’s Garlic & Mango Dressing 2 tbs*
- Mixed Spring Greens 7 cups (cut into strips)
- Mango 1 (cut into strips)
- Red Bell Pepper 1 (thinly sliced)
- Fresh Basil Leaves 1/2 cup (sliced)
- Scallions 2 (thinly sliced)
- Sesame Seeds 1 tsp (toasted)
1. Heat a large skillet over high heat. Season the steak with 1/4 tsp each salt and black pepper. Cook 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let rest at least 5 minutes before slicing.
2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the Garlic & Mango Dressing, lime zest and juice, honey, soy sauce, oil and 1/4 tsp salt. Add the mixed spring greens, mango, bell pepper, basil, and scallions and toss to combine. Gently fold in the steak and sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
* = found at Herma’s
More about Garlic Mango Dressing
Garlic Mango Dressing is a refreshing mango puree combined with locally grown Ontario garlic.
Great used with spinach & fruit salads, as a finishing sauce for meats and grilled fruit and peppers. It is also delicious with vegetables, meat & shrimp stir-fries. Add peanut sauce for Thai flavor.
Also special from The Garlic Box?
Cranberry Garlic Preserve with Rum
Try placing The Garlic Box’s Cranberry Garlic Preserve with Rum over slices of turkey or turkey burger. Also makes a delicious appetizer dolloped on top of brie with crostini. Mmmm.
The Cheese Shop
Recently arrived or coming soon…
24 Month Comte
Comte was created centuries ago in the beautiful mountainous, rough terrain of the Jura region in France. As this cheese requires a lot of milk, farmers had to pool their milk and work together to create this delicious cheese that would have to last them through difficult winter months.
PDO status requires the process of creating this cheese to stay the same as it did long ago, even right down to the species of cow that produces the milk.
This cheese is so special that it should be tasted in the same way one does a nice bottle of wine. No wheel of Comte tastes exactly like the next. During your tasting experience of this cheese, relax and imagine the grassy mountain countryside and cows that went into the creation of this unique and extraordinary cheese.
It is a special occasion when we carry this cheese as we are only able to get it in limited quantities. High in demand!
This blue has some teeth to it. Rich, slightly salty with a nice bite. Definitely a favourite with the Blue Cheese crowd. Tiger Blue’s intense flavour is developed from the blue veining found throughout the cheese. – Poplar Grove, Penticton, BC
Get it while it lasts!
Also find Goat Cheeses and Feta from Crosswind Farms in Keene at a great price.
We wish you happy, relaxing summer days ahead!
Herma’s Fine Foods & Gifts