Herma’s News – Recipe Suggestions for Hot Summer Days
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
We know it may be difficult to find foods that will be light enough to enjoy on hot summer days yet filling enough to satisfy. At Herma’s, this time of year, we find ourselves longing for something citrusy and fun. This week we decided to provide you with recipes and suggestions we believe will be a refreshing summer treat for you and your friends and family.
Garlic Rosemary Chicken Skewers
Recipe by Stonewall Kitchen
4 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
1 bottle Stonewall Kitchen’s Garlic Rosemary Citrus Sauce
1 box of Sarafino’s Lemon Risotto
1 pint of Cherry Tomatoes
1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Heat Grill. Place chicken cubes, cherry tomatos and zucchini alternately onto bamboo skewers and place in a shallow pan.
- Pour Garlic Rosemary Citrus Sauce over the meat and veggies and let marinate until grill reaches medium heat.
- Grill skewers 8-10 minutes on each side, turning frequently so as not to burn.
- Prepare lemon risotto according to package directions.
- Add thin slices of zucchini to risotto in the first half of the cooking process. This will soften up the zucchini.
- When the risotto is fully cooked, remove from heat and add toasted almonds.
- Serve the grilled chicken/zucchini skewers over the risotto.
Photo and Recipe by Stonewall Kitchen
1/2 cup Jesse Tree’s Cannellini beans from Italy
3 cups romaine lettuce, washed, drained and chopped 1/2-inch
1/2 cup fresh ripe tomato, seeded, 1/4-inch dice
1/4 cup seedless cucumber, peeled, 1/4-inch dice
1/4 cup Feta cheese, crumbled
1/8 cup Divina’s Organic Pitted Kalamata Olives, chopped
1 Tablespoon red onion, finely chopped
6 (5-inch) pita rounds, cut in half
Stonewall Kitchen Classic Greek Dressing
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a small bowl and toss gently.
- Stuff each pita half with salad mixture.
- Drizzle with Classic Greek Dressing and serve.
Summer Spice Suggestion
Epicentre Spice’s Thai Coconut Green Curry
Pan Seared Shrimp & Deep Fried Avocado with Garlic Mango Dressing Recipe
The Garlic Box Garlic Steak Splash – The Garlic Box Garlic Mango Salad Dressing – Tiger Shrimp (50-60) – Avocado (ripened) – Mint (3 sprigs) – Chopped Chili Pepper – Canola Oil – All Purpose Flour – Olive Oil – Fresh Mint & Chili Pepper Garnish
1. Peel shrimp and clean.
2. Trim the avocados, mash and shape into small balls.
3. Set the oil temperature at about 230c.
4. Make a thick batter with flour and some water.
5. Pan sear the shrimp in olive oil and steak splash.
6. Dip avocado balls into flour batter and quickly deep fry.
7. Place deep fried avocado on paper towel and season to taste.
8. Pool Garlic Mango salad dressing on a serving plate. Place the shrimp on plate, top with an avocado ball. Garnish with chili pepper and mint leaf (optional).
GARLIC & MANGO DRESSING
Premium mango puree and select, local Ontario garlic combine to make this lush, smooth dressing perfectly balanced for spinach & fruit salad or finishing sauce for meats and BBQ’d fruit. Also a delicious binder for vegetables, meat & seafood stir-fries!
In the Cheese Shop…
photo by Gary Mulcahey of Grapevine Magazine
This is one of our favourite summer treats as it is so refreshing and light on a hot day. Lemolicious is made fresh with zesty cream cheese, lemon zest and other delightful ingredients. Pairs beautifully with salmon. Find in the Cheese Shop this weekend.
NEW at Herma’s
Senor Gustavo Coffee from Quebec
No matter what time of year it is everyone needs their cup of java. Find this new and exciting coffee ground from quebec at Herma’s.
El Vigoroso Dark House Blend is a rich tasting robust and balanced coffee with a trace of bitterness.
El Bueno Smooth Colombian Blend is a rich flavoured coffee with a hint of floral taste.
We wish you well as you find ways to stay cool on these gloriously hot days of summer.
Have a wonderful weekend.
All of us at Herma’s
Herma’s Fine Foods and Gifts